HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, April 25, 2019

A - Z Indian Biryani / Khichdi / Pulao Series ~ V for Vaal Khichdi

This is going to be my last khichdi of the series and I wish I could have planned some more. I had no idea when I started that I would end up loving these simple, one pot meals more than the classic version biryanis and pulaos that I 'vegetarianized'. In fact, this one pot meal was the one my husband enjoyed the most among all the dishes I cooked for this month. He even recommended to rotate the dish frequently from now on and that sure is an indication of a successful attempt on my part and a well enjoyed meal. I came across this  khichdi made with field beans, when I went on  exploring regional rice dishes as I didn't want to choose a predictable vegetable pulao or biryani as my 'V' dish. There are plenty of recipes with variations over online and my version is kind of mish mash of those, suiting my preference and my palate. 

The star ingredient of this khichdi is 'vaal' aka field beans and that is one of the reasons I tried this. My husband and I have nostalgic memories associated with the tender beans and so he recommended to try it even dried beans are being used here. However note that the strong flavor of the tender green beans is not pronounced as much when using the dried beans. I soaked the val beans for 2 hours accidentally which is not needed unless you are going to cook it in a pot on stove top. About 15 to 30 minutes should be enough if pressure cooker is going to be used. 

This khichdi makes a filling and nutritious one pot meal even when you don't have vegetables on hand or need to finish off those odds and ends left from the refrigerator. The addition of vegetables here is quite optional but I added to make it a more wholesome meal. Only onions can also be added in place of vegetables. This is a simple yet awesome tasting khichdi served with some drizzling of ghee, pickle and papad on the side. The quantity serves 4 adults generously if served alone.

Ingredients:
1 cup rice (American standard measuring cup)
1/2 cup vaal dal / field beans
2 cups of chopped mixed vegetables
(I used green beans cut into 1 inch pieces, peeled and cubed potato and carrots and a handful of frozen peas.)
1/8 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tbsp. ghee
1 tsp.mustard seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
I sprig of curry leaves
Salt to taste (about 2 tsp)
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. chili powder (less or more depending upon the heat.)
1 tbsp. goda masala*
1 tbsp. or more, freshly extracted thick tamarind paste (Again less or more depending upon the sourness of tamarind and preference. If using store bought paste, add as preferred.)
1 tsp. jaggery powder (optional. I did not feel the sweetness is required but anyway added 1/2 packet Stevia) 

* I had prepared goda masala at home and I added a tbsp. for flavor since it was less hot. Add about 1/2 to 1 tsp. if the goda masala is hot. Check the taste and add extra if needed.

Directions:
1. Soak beans for about 15 to 30 minutes and drain. Rinse the rice in two exchanges of water.
2. Pressure cook together rice, vaal dal, vegetables if using and turmeric adding 3 cups of water. 
3. In a non stick pan, heat ghee and add mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add asafoetida and curry leaves. At this point, if you prefer add a one chopped onion and fry until translucent. 
4. Next add the cooked rice and vaal dal mixture, ground cumin, ground coriander, goda masala, chili powder, salt, tamarind and jaggery if using. Add about a cup of water and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Cook on medium flame stirring intermittently until the mixture starts to boil and sputter, about 5 minutes. 

In case if one prefers to cook this as one pot meal, cook in one of the following methods:

Pressure cooker method:
* Start with step 3 directly in a 3 liter sized pressure cooker. Add the rinsed and drained rice-vaal dal mixture, vegetables, turmeric, salt, ground coriander, ground cumin, goda masala, chili powder, tamarind, jaggery along with about 3 and 1/2 cups water. Pressure cook the mixture for three whistles. When the valve pressure is gone, remove the lid, stir well and serve hot.

Directions to cook in a pot:
* Soak vaal dal for a couple of hours and drain.
* Heat a pan, non stick one preferably. Start with step 3. Then add the rinsed rice, vaal dal, vegetables and turmeric. Add about 4 cups of water initially and cook until the rice and dal are cooked, stirring intermittently. Extra water may need to be added.
* Once the dal is cooked, add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the stove.

So far in my Biryani / Pulao / Khichdi series,
A - Ambur Biryani
B - Basanti Pulao / Misthi Pulao
C - Corn - Fenugreek Greens Pulao
D - Donne Biryani
E -  Ek Toap na Dal Bhaat
F - Fada ni Khichdi
G - Gutti Vankaya Biryani
H - Hyderabadi Vegetable Dum Biryani
I - Iyengar Puliyogare
J - Jaipuri Mewa Pulao
K - Kashmiri Pulao
L - Lucknowi Biryani
M - Motiwale Pulao

BMLogo
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#99.

10 comments:

Harini R said...

This is a unique combination of val in khichdi. I have never used the dried val though I get the frozen variety. Good pick for the letter V.

vaishali sabnani said...

Gujarat is very popular for Vaal . The dried Vaal is used in curries , have never seen anyone using it with rice . The recipe sounds unique and one of its kinds and looks absolutely delicious

Sharmila Kingsly said...

Such a wholesome and yummy khichdi with whole lot of veggies and field beans .. delicious share...

CookwithRenu said...

A good way to use Vaal dal in a khichdi and love the addition of goda masala to this. Must have added so much flavour.

sushma said...

Vaal dal in khichdi sounds very nice. Goda Masala adds very nice flavor to the dish.

Gayathri Kumar said...

The addition of vegetables makes it more colourful. One pot meals are wonderful when it comes to making a quick lunch. The kichdi looks fantastic. Goda masala adds a lot of flavour to the kichdi.

Srivalli said...

This khichdi looks and sounds yum! Even we concluded we all loved the khichdis much better than other versions. For south Indians, for whom Khichdi meant Rava upma with veggies, this introduction was such an amazing experience.

Kalyani said...

oh yes ! this BM made me cook more and more varieties of khichdis. this one looks so simple yet comofritng Suma. I am thinking we can add fresh avarekaalu in the season to this khichdi isnt it ?

Srividhya said...

Glad you started falling in love with kichadis. My husband calls all the kichdis as masala pongal ;-) Between this vaal kichadi sounds delicious and protein-packed. Great pick for V.

Swati said...

This something new for me..never used Vaal Dal.. do you have any other name for it.. It looks delicious and I think will try if I get this dal here in stores..