HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, December 10, 2018

Eggless Applesauce - Oatmeal Bread

This applesauce based bread is one delicious, moist and flavor filled one that can be served as a breakfast or brunch item or even as a dessert if you ask me. Even after cutting the sugar by half from the original recipe, this quick bread tastes really awesome and is filled with the goodness of oats, wheat, apple, dry fruits and nuts. I got to clear one more bookmarked recipe from KAF with this bread and it was rich and yummy even after making substitutions and omissions to suit my preferences. 

Ingredients:
2 flax eggs*
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole white wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt 
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon*
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1.5 tsp. vanilla or boiled cider
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce* 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts*

* The changes I made:
I substituted eggs with flax eggs. 
The original recipe used a cup of sugar. I used half of it and it was still perfectly on the sweet side.
I substituted all purpose flour for wheat flour.
The original recipe has 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg as well which I left out.
I used homemade applesauce that was prepared with about 3 apples and increased it's quantity from 3/4 to 1 cup.
I added  sweetened dried cranberries and raisins along with walnuts.


Directions:
* Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Lightly grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan. (The specified loaf pan is bigger for this bread and the loaf filled about 2/3rd of the pan.)
* Combine 2 tbsp. flaxmeal and 6 tbsp. warm water in a mixing bowl and keep it aside for about five minutes. Then add sugar, oil and vanilla to the flax eggs and mix well.
* Combine flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder. cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg (if using) in another bowl. 
* Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix in the rolled oats, applesauce and walnuts. 
* Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake it until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
* Remove the bread from the oven and let cool.
* The bread can be stored well wrapped at room temperature for few days or can be frozen for later use.

It goes to Bakeathon  and Blogging Marathon events.
Bakeathonbmlogo

Comments

22 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Suma , I had fallen for this rustic bread , it looks so earthy and I feel like picking a slice from the screen . Bookmarking to try soon.

Sharmila kingsly said...

Beautiful crumb and texture.. The oats along with the dry fruits gives a beautiful texture to the cake..

Priya Suresh said...

This bread is seriously something that i just cant stop with a slice. Dangerously delicious bread there. Incredibly inviting.

Anonymous said...

I loved this posts! I read your blog fairly often and
you're always coming out with some great stuff! I shared this on my Facebook and my followers loved it!
Keep up the good work!:)

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Wonderful share and the bread looks so delicious and perfectly baked.

MySpicyKitchen said...

I love KAF applesauce cake and their applesauce oatmeal bread is on my to bake list. Now you are tempting me to back ASAP

Gayathri Kumar said...

Beautiful texture in the cake. That is such an awesome eggless cake recipe. It has been a while since I baked with flax eggs. Need to try them again.

Srivalli said...

The cake looks amazing and I love the how moist it looks.

Pavani said...

That is such a moist and delicious looking bread Suma. Love the use of applesauce, oats and spices.

Unknown said...

It looks so moist and adding apple sauce is such a nice idea!!

Kalyani said...

very rustic , very healthy and it appeals to me a lot coz I love working wth homemade applesauce as an egg substitte and love this Oats based bread ! lovely pick and bookmarked :-)

Harini R said...

That loaf looks very tempting. With so many interesting ingredients, I am sure it made a great bake.

Rafeeda AR said...

Baking with applesauce has been on my agenda since long... haven't done it yet... the loaf looks like a nice breakfast or a good snack for coffee on lazy afternoons...

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

wonderful bread suma, i love breads that is loaded with nuts and dry fruits, so every bite makes it more filling, beautiful texture and a fitting bake for the festive season!

Srividhya said...

Delicious bread with wheat flour, nuts, and raisins. Amazing eggless bake.

Varada's Kitchen said...

Cranberries, apple and raisins sounds delicious in a loaf. Perfect for the season.

CookwithRenu said...

Delicious and healthy loaf. Perfect with my tea.

veena said...

The cake looks super delicious. I have to bake this asap

Chef Mireille said...

the consistency looks so soft and moist. must be delicious

Swati said...

Beautiful bake with nutritious oats and applesauce!! Loved the texture of the bread, so perfect for the festive season.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

I love dense quick breads and that looks delicious. I am bookmarking this to try sometime soon.

code2cook said...

perfect bread to make and consume in breakfast. Love the recipe Suma, I am soon going to try this. came out beautifully.