HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Blackberry Cobbler


Call me weird but I don't like to eat berries unless they are in some form of a baked dish. Strawberries are an exception though. My share of sweet blackberries were lying in the refrigerator and a one minute online search landed me at 'Food Network' site which featured this baked berry dessert recipe. It captivated my attention immediately as it is an easy breezy kind of recipe besides being made with the every day ingredients found in most of the kitchens.
 
This is not a biscuit based cobbler but the batter based one, perfect for lazy bodies like me. It is a great recipe to try when looking for ways to enjoy the summer's berry bounty. All it takes is a few minutes to mix the batter, dump the berries and stick it in the oven. In case if you don't have berries on hand, other fruits such as peaches, apples and others will work fine. This is a no fuss dessert made with minimal efforts and great results. One ends up with a beautiful cake like consistency at the bottom and slightly crispy top with fruit embedded in between. A perfect dessert to prepare on a lazy day. I had to scale down the recipe since I didn't have the required amount of berries on hand. 

Prep time: 5 to 10 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Ingredients:
1 cup self raising flour or 1 cup all purpose flour + 1.5 tsp. baking powder + 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup + 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar (divided)
1 cup milk (Non-dairy milk can be substituted.)
1/2 stick or 1/4 cup butter, melted + extra for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh blackberries (Frozen ones can be substituted.)

Directions:
* Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 3 quart baking dish with butter.
* Rinse the berries and pat them dry.
* Whisk self rising flour, 1 cup sugar and milk in a mixing bowl. Add melted butter next and whisk to combine.
* Pour the batter into the baking dish and sprinkle the berries uniformly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup sugar over the berries.
* Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about an hour. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbsp. sugar when 10 minutes of the baking time remains.
* Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

It goes to Bakeathon  and Blogging Marathon #95 under the theme 'Meal Time Dishes' events.
Bakeathonbmlogo


Comments

24 comments:

MySpicyKitchen said...

I can eat this cobbler as is, without icecream.

Srivalli said...

I love cobbler dishes and I have limited access to the berries for me to try this dessert, I would surely love it.

Pavani said...

My daughter is exactly like -- no berries except for strawberries. So this will be the perfect dessert to try. Batter base on top sounds so much easier to make than biscuit base. Good one.

Priya Suresh said...

We are not great fans of blackberries apart from raspberries and strawberries. But this cobbler makes me drool. I should give a try to this cobbler definitely a day.

Kalyani said...

Am not fond of any berries, like you suma ! unless found in bakes, and in India any berry except gooseberry (Amla) is sold for price of Gold. I am bookmarkign this cobbler for my little one who loves to have some specks of fruit in her mildly sweet dessert (and perhaps sub these with dried cranberries).

vaishali sabnani said...

I love cobblers , and you have got a perfect one there . You are not lazy , even I love the idea of batter base , must give this a try asap !

Unknown said...

Cobbler is there in my to do list but it's not ticked till now!! This berry cobbler looks superb.

Harini R said...

Very tempting one, Suma. My little one is a berry freak and I am sure she will love to dig into the cobbler.

Swati said...

My kids also like cobbler this way, yours has come out so well baked!! So delicious!!

Sharmila kingsly said...

Wow these cobblers look so addictive.. Super delicious when served with Ice creams..

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Those cobblers are sinful and looks fabulous.Wish to have it.

Rafeeda AR said...

I would surely enjoy a dessert like this... I can't stop drooling at the pics...

Gayathri Kumar said...

Unfortunately we don't get ant berries except for sour strawberries. I guess I can use them in this recipe. The recipe sounds easy to make and the slice looks perfect.

Varada's Kitchen said...

One of the easier and tastiest desserts. Great way to use up the berries.

Srividhya said...

I relish blueberries and raspberries. But blackberries and tad bit sour strawberries has to be in another form.. This cobbler looks delicious. Good one.

Chef Mireille said...

cobbler is one of my fave all time desserts - peach is my fave but I am sure this berry one is delicious too

preeti garg said...

Never tried cobbler with berries.. look so sinful dessert.

veena said...

cobbler is on my todo list. I get blue berries here.Can I bake with that?

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

aww that pic with ice-cream, calling my name! even i prefer my berries in bake rather fresh!!! cobbler looks uber delicious!!!

cookwithrenu said...

My husband likes such types of bakes and I am sure he will love this. Delicious.

Pavani said...

Cobbler with ice cream looks so tempting and feel like grabbing the bowl. Lovely share.

veena said...

We don't get berries here. But I can use strawberry and try this out. Looks too tempting not to try

code2cook said...

hahah same pinch Suma, I can eat strawberry happily but not any other berries. Cobbler looks so tasteful and yummy.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

My kids would love this cobbler. Looks so delicious and I am craving to eat some warm cobbler with a scoop of ice cream.