HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Honey Blondies

I remembered that I have a hoard of cooking magazines stowed away when almost I am on my last leg of this bakeathon journey.  I used to subscribe them until a year ago and they could have been a great resource for recipes this month, I realized late. Better late than never. These blondies come from Martha Stewart's Living magazine; published a few years ago. These were supposedly created to improvise the buttery flavored blondies with the addition of sweet, floral taste of honey. Any flavored honey can be used in the recipe and in lieu of it, even maple syrup works as I have learnt. Bittersweet chocolate takes the place of traditional semisweet chips here, to add an interesting factor. 1/2 cup of any toasted and chopped nuts can be stirred in along with the chocolate.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup / 1 stick unsalted butter + extra for pan
1 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour + extra for pan
1/3 cup honey 
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 flax egg
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. coarse salt
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into chunks

Directions:
* Combine 1 tbsp. ground flaxmeal with 3 tbsp. water in a bowl and keep aside for about 5 minutes. 
* Melt butter and honey in a sauce pan and stir in brown sugar. Let it dissolve and turn off the stove. Transfer the mixture to the flax egg bowl. Add vanilla, flour and salt as well. Stir until just combined and let the mixture cool for about 30 minutes. Stir in chocolate chunks.
* Ten minutes before the cooling period ends, preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan. Line with parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides. Then butter the parchment and flour pan, tapping out excess.
(I used an 7x5x1.5 inch glass baking dish for half the recipe and did not line it with a parchment. I just greased and floured the pan.)
* Pour batter into the prepared pan and and spread batter evenly with a greased knife if needed.
* Bake until browned on edges and set, about 28 minutes.
* Remove the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Lift blondies out of pan using the overhang, if parchment was used. Remove parchment and cut into squares. I cut blondies into squares directly in my glass pan after cooling.


This cake goes to Bakeathon and Blogging Marathon #95 under the theme 'Bookmarked recipes' events.
Bakeathonbmlogo

Comments

18 comments:

Srivalli said...

wow Suma, those blondies look amazing and sinful. Bookmarking this for later...

Priya Suresh said...

Honey blondies, the name itself makes me drool, i always look for different bakes prepared with honey, bookmarking this blondies. Loving it.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Same here Suma, I have so many magazines but I was searching for recipes online and I realised it very late this month. These honey blondies look so good and they are super inviting.

Rafeeda AR said...

I have to try these for my family! Such a lovely texture it has... I can't explain how many cutouts and magazines I have in my stash too, so much that I have literally stopped buying them now!

Kalyani said...

I hear blondjes are great , although am yet to bake one. This recipe looks very doable and love the colour of these sweet bake :)

Harini R said...

Those honey blondies look very tempting. I am sure my kids will gobble them up in a single sitting :)

Swati said...

Gorgeous blondies!! these look so inviting with a cup of coffee!! Beautiful pics!!

Varada's Kitchen said...

The blondies turned out great with the chunks of chocolate peeping through

Unknown said...

Chocolate chunks are the best part of these blondies!! Looks tempting.

cookwithrenu said...

Chocolate blondies look yum and tempting. Will go well with a cup of coffee.

Srividhya said...

These are so good and those chocolates in the blondies makes it very tempting.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Me too have so many papers cut from magazines and stashed safely in a folder! which i dont remember at the right time!
These blondies look super cool! Beautiful texture, perfect with a cup of coffee!

Sharmila kingsly said...

This is so lovely .. Definitely im going to try this out!!

Pavani said...

Beautifully baked honey blondies Suma. I am sure they must have tasted heavenly - perfect tea time snack.

code2cook said...

honey blondies came out beautifully and perfectly baked. such a tempting treat to taste buds.

Chef Mireille said...

I love blondies and with the choc chunks its the best of both worlds

Ritu Tangri said...

These blondies look as beautiful and irresistible as is the name...Honey Blondie. Bookmarking to try soon

veena said...

Such a lovely name. Blondies are baked beautifully