HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Jowar Flour Laddu / Sorghum Flour - Nut Laddus

When I recently was discussing about travel food with my daughter, she gave me a list of foods that she would prefer to eat on a trip. It occurred to me that those are our family favorites I pack when we take long road trips and I realized with surprise that unknowingly I have created a tradition of our own. My kids one day probably would get nostalgic about our trips and reminisce about how their mom would stuff any vacant space in the car with food and other paraphernalia while dad is watching with dismay. 😇. 

Anyway while we were at it, the girl requested me to make some laddus. My daughter is not big on desserts but prefers a few selected ones like these peanut laddus for instance. I carry a load of homemade spicy snacks, energy bars and other sweets to munch on, especially if we are going to be on the road for a week or two and those laddus are a must for her. She got these energy balls to try this time which we all enjoyed. These laddus are loaded with healthy ingredients like jowar flour, raisins, a medley of nuts and jaggery which all contribute equally to make these laddus delicious and rich. The laddus do not need any ghee and the moisture from the ingredients used is enough to shape them. The laddus are firm though they look moist in the images. Try these easy and quick laddus on a festival day or as a after school treat for little ones. 

Ingredients: (Yield 12 laddus)
3/4 cup jowar ka atta / sorghum flour / jonna pindi
1/2 cup mixed nuts - I used skinned peanuts, almonds, cashews and walnuts
1/2 cup grated, dry coconut
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup powdered jaggery
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom

Directions:
* Roast jowar flour stirring continuously, on low flame until you notice aroma, about 7 -8 minutes.
* Toast nuts on low flame for about a minute or so. (I just toasted them in a microwave.)
* Let the flour and nuts cool down.
* Pulse the nuts finely in a food processor until they start to clump if possible and transfer to a mixing bowl. Then add jowar flour, coconut and raisins to the food processor and grind them fine. Now add back the ground nuts, jaggery and cardamon to the food processor. Pulse a few times until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly and finely ground.
* Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and make lemon sized balls from the mixture.
* Store them in an airtight container. Freeze them if wishing to save longer and thaw them before serving.

This post is an entry for Blogging Marathon #97 and BM - 'Kids' Delight' event hosted by Renu this month with 'Travel Food' theme.

bmlogo

Comments

9 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Super ladoos from the ladoo queen ! You know I am going to bookmark these - I love all the ladoos you make , and these jowar ones sound so so delicious !

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

oh yum, can i have some!! looks delicious, all that richness and goodness of those nuts and grain flour!

rajani said...

Oh the pictures are so great Suma! It’s really making me hungry 😋. In my place when we go on trip, I don’t pack anything. It’s Subway stops all the way 😆

Harini R said...

These look perfect either for the road or at home. I would love my kids to have these laddus.

Suma Gandlur said...

Rajani, I am the same when the trip is for a day or two. However I would like carry snacks and other stuff if we are on the road for a week / 2 weeks. My kids get bored eating pizzas and sandwiches in a row. :)

Kalyani said...

Perfect for road trips and otherwise. I think my elder one will love these GF laddus ! Love the addition of raisins and jaggery as natural sweeteners, suma ! Bookmarking to try and will let u know

CookwithRenu said...

Beautiful recipe. Love the use of Jowar flour here, a gluten free dessert. Foods creates wonder memories and your kids will cherish those.

Swati said...

Delicious and healthy laddus are good for anytime snacking..pictures are so tempting!!

sushma said...

Yummy ladoos. Such a healthy one. Perfectly done